Completely redesigned for 2015, Chevrolet Tahoe represents the functional and the refined, the dependable and the technology-savvy. The overall effect offers customers a great range of features and components to help keep them safe, connected and on the road for the long haul.
Now, for 2016, several new safety and technology advances give the full-size SUV high-end details that make driving the Tahoe a superior experience.
A new Enhanced Driver Alert package, available on the LS, includes a number of collision avoidance features and security functions, such as power-adjustable pedals, Forward Collision Alert and Safety Alert Seat.
Also included in the package, Lane Keep Assist helps avoid unintentional lane departures and actually assists in keeping the vehicle in the correct lane by gently turning the steering wheel as the SUV approaches a detected lane marking without the use of a turn signal. Using a camera mounted on the windshield in front of the rearview mirror, Lane Keep Assist works between the speeds of 37 mph and 112 mph and won’t engage if it detects the driver is actively steering.
IntelliBeam headlamps, another feature in the Enhanced Driver Alert Package, automatically turn a high-beam headlight on and off according to traffic conditions, making for a safer ride.
Also new for 2016, a head-up display is included with the available, enhanced driver information center – with 8-inch-diagonal configurable multicolor display – offered on LTZ models.
New phone integration technology displays content from Apple iPhone 5 or later models on the multicolor screen through the Apple CarPlay feature. Supported apps for the system include phone, messages, maps, music and compatible third-party apps.
Two new premium exterior colors are added to Tahoe’s palette: Siren Red Tintcoat and Iridescent Pearl Tricoat.
With a range of recent vehicle-wide enhancements such as aerodynamic designs and a direct-injected EcoTec3 5.3L engine, Tahoe is the industry’s best-selling full-size SUV. Along with the Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe accounts for almost 50 percent of the segment.
The 2016 Tahoe is offered in LS, LT and LTZ models, with several functionality and technology features including:
- Fold-flat second- and third-row seats that enhance cargo convenience – including an available power-folding feature
- Easy entry/exit
- Standard 8-inch-diagonal color touch screen radio with next-generation MyLink connectivity
- OnStar 4G LTE connectivity with Wi-Fi hotspot (includes 3GB/three-month data trial)
- Up to six USB ports and six power outlets – including a 110-volt three-prong outlet – to support electronic devices of all kinds (up to 12 charging locations)
- Available rear-seat entertainment system with dual screens and Blu-ray DVD player
- Conversation mirror in the overhead console that provides a panoramic view of the rear seats
- Keyless entry and push-button start
- Up to 94.7 cubic feet of cargo room behind the front seats (rear seats folded)
- Maximum trailering capacity of 8,600 pounds (2WD).
The refined and precisely sculpted Tahoe exterior includes inlaid doors that fit into the body side openings instead of over the top of the body, significantly improving the quietness of the interior cabin and contributing to improved aerodynamics – an attribute that helps the vehicle slip through the air on the highway with less drag for greater efficiency. Lightweight aluminum hood and liftgate panels also enhance efficiency.
Projector-beam headlamps flank the Chevrolet-signature dual-port grille – chrome on all models – and sweep into the front fenders. High-intensity discharge headlamps and light-emitting diode daytime running lamps are included on LTZ, along with an exclusive chrome grille surround.
The LTZ model features more bright trim on the fascias, grille, body sides, mirror caps and more. It also offers power-retractable and illuminated side steps.
In addition to the two new exterior colors – Siren Red Tintcoat and Iridescent Pearl Tricoat – other available hues include Sable Metallic, Silver Ice, Black, Summit White, Champagne Silver Metallic, Tungsten Metallic and Brownstone.
Functionality and comfort are key to the interior design of the Tahoe, which has incorporated the technology and connectivity that are more important to drivers than ever. Premium materials and enhanced ergonomics demonstrate the SUVs’ blend of sophistication, craftsmanship and function.
The instrument panel, for example, has a technology-driven design featuring a large, easy-to-view cluster. Available on LTZ, it includes an 8-inch-diagonal color driver information center display in the center of the reconfigurable gauge cluster, for vehicle, infotainment and other data. There’s also an 8-inch-diagonal color touch screen radio in the center of the instrument panel, incorporating secured storage behind the motorized screen.
Additional interior features include:
- Keyless entry and push-button start is standard on LTZ and available on LT
- Power-tilting/telescoping steering column is standard on LTZ and available on LT
- Heated steering wheel is standard on LTZ and available on LT
- Sliding cover on the console cupholders is standard on LTZ
- Fold-flat second- and third-row seats, with power folding option.
The Tahoe’s seats are designed for greater comfort and durability. A high-wear cloth seat material is available on LS and LT, and the second-row bench seat now reclines. Additional seating features include:
- LS – Standard front cloth bucket seats or optional bench seat with 10-way power-adjustable driver and two-way passenger seats, with power recline and lumbar; available haptic seat alerts, manual-adjustable second- and third-row seats.
- LT – Heated, leather-appointed 10-way power-adjustable front bucket seats with haptic seat alerts; manual-adjustable second- and folding third-row bench seats standard; manual-adjustable second-row bucket seats available; heated, power-adjustable second-row bench or bucket and power-folding third-row seat available.
- LTZ – Standard heated/cooled, perforated leather-appointed 10-way power bucket front seats with haptic seat alerts; heated, power-release folding second-row bucket seats or optional bench and power-folding third-row bench seat.
The third-row seat folds flat to the floor, making it simpler to switch from passenger use to cargo hauling. The second- and third-row seats’ available power-release folding option makes it easier to load bulky items from the rear, and eases entry/exit to the third row. Power-release folding switches are located at the second-row doors and at the rear liftgate opening.
Tahoe is offered in four interior color combinations for 2016: Jet Black, Cocoa/Dune, Jet Black/Dark Ash and Cocoa/Mahogany. Color offerings vary by model.
MyLink with phone integration technology and OnStar 4G LTE
New for Tahoe in 2016, Chevrolet’s new MyLink system with an 8-inch-diagonal color touchscreen is compatible with Apple CarPlay, which puts iPhone features (iPhone 5 and later) on the display in a smart, simple manner, allowing drivers to make calls, send and receive messages and listen to music right from the touchscreen or by voice via Siri. That helps drivers spend more time with eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.
Apple CarPlay-supported apps include Phone, Messages, Maps, Music and compatible third-party apps. A full list of those apps can be found at Apple.com/ios/carplay.
While development and testing is not yet complete, Android Auto compatibility may be available later in the 2016 model year.
OnStar 4G LTE connectivity with Wi-Fi hotspot provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the vehicle is on and comes with a three-month/three gigabyte data trial, after which the customer can purchase additional data.
4G LTE is the most current and fastest mobile data network – 10 times faster than 3G and 100 times faster than the previous generation of OnStar hardware. And with OnStar, it also offers stronger, broader coverage than smartphones on the same network and it’s easy to use: If the vehicle is on, the connection is on.
At the time of purchase, six months of OnStar Guidance includes all of OnStar’s advisor-based safety and security features, including Automatic Crash Response and Stolen Vehicle Assistance, as well as turn-by-turn navigation.
Five years of OnStar Basic Plan includes RemoteLink Key Fob Services, allowing owners to remotely start and lock/unlock a car (if properly equipped), and activate the horn and lights from anywhere with a data connection. It also includes OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics which runs monthly checks of a vehicle’s engine, transmission, antilock brakes and more, and Dealer Maintenance Notification, which sends diagnostic report directly to a preferred dealer to make service scheduling simple.
Ride and handling
The 2016 Tahoe is engineered to deliver a quiet, controlled ride and improved steering and braking feel. It all starts on a stronger, fully boxed, perimeter frame, which supports payload and trailering capability that body-frame-integral crossovers and SUVs can’t match.
All models – 2WD and 4WD – feature an updated coil-over-shock independent front suspension design, with forged aluminum upper control arms and cast-aluminum lower control arms on select models. They are 12 pounds lighter per side and 10 percent stiffer than comparable steel components.
At the rear is a five-link coil-spring suspension design, which enables optimal ride and handling through more precise tuning. Lateral stiffness was increased at the frame-side joint of the lateral link with the addition of a cross-axis ball joint, for a greater feeling of steering precision.
Additional chassis and suspension features include:
- A wide rear track that contributes to a more planted stance
- Strong body structure with high-strength steel for a more solid feel and a quieter cabin
- Shear-style body mounts reduce body shake and enhance the feeling of structural stiffness
- Third-generation Magnetic Ride Control on LTZ models. Its dual-electric-coil design enabled engineers to tune with more resolution to handle quickly changing road conditions
- Eighteen-inch wheels are standard. Twenty- and 22-inch wheels are available
- Electric variable-assist power steering system enhances fuel economy and tailors steering assist to vehicle speed
- Four-wheel-disc brake system with Duralife™ brake rotors offer up to double the service life
- Available automatic locking rear differential provides greater traction when needed and greater driving comfort when it’s not
- Maximum trailering rating of 8,600 pounds (2WD models).
Powerful and efficient
Tahoe’s EcoTec3 5.3L V-8 engine is rated at 355 horsepower (265 kW) and 383 lb-ft of torque (519 Nm), and features state-of-the-art technologies including direct injection, cylinder deactivation, continuously variable valve timing and an advanced combustion system – all designed to make the most of power, torque and efficiency across a broad range of operating conditions.
The technologies contribute to EPA-estimated 16 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway (2WD) – a nearly 10-percent increase in highway mileage over previous models and 7-percent greater city mileage. Improved engine mounts, electronic throttle control, adaptive exhaust systems, improved aerodynamics and other technologies help the engines operate in four-cylinder mode longer with Active Fuel Management, contributing further to efficiency.
A Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission is paired with the new 5.3L engine and contributes to efficiency with reduced engine speed on the highway. It also features TapShift control, Tow/Haul mode and Auto Grade Braking.
360 degrees of safety
Because the safest crash is the one that never happens, the Tahoe is equipped with standard and available technologies that serve as an extra set of eyes and ears to the driver, including an available Safety Alert Seat that vibrates if the system determines the driver is at risk of colliding with another vehicle.
Driver assistance begins with a standard rear vision camera that shows the area immediately behind the vehicle in the audio screen. The camera is especially helpful when hooking up a trailer. It also offers the segment’s only front-seat center air bag (bucket-seat models), which is engineered to provide additional protection for drivers and front passengers in far-side impact crashes, where the affected occupant is on the opposite, non-struck side of the vehicle.
Additional standard and available driver alert technologies include:
- Lane Keep Assist – A camera mounted on the windshield ahead of the rearview mirror detects when the driver drifts into an adjacent lane without signaling, and actually assists by gently turning the steering wheel back into the lane. It is included and only available through the Enhanced Driver Alert Package.
- Side Blind Zone Alert – Uses short-range radar sensors in the rear quarter panels to “look” for other vehicles the driver may not be able to see. If the system detects a vehicle in the adjacent lane, it will illuminate an amber symbol in the outside mirror. If the driver signals to change lanes in the direction of the affected vehicle, the symbol will flash amber. It is standard on LTZ and available on LT models.
- Lane Change Alert – Uses the Side Blind Zone sensors to warn drivers of fast-approaching vehicles up to 230 feet away in the adjacent lane, not just in the blind zone. It is standard on LTZ and available on LT models.
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert – Uses the Side Blind Zone sensors to warn drivers of approaching cross traffic while backing up. The system triggers a visual alert on the navigation screen and pulses the Safety Alert Seat if it detects approaching vehicles up to 65 feet away from the right or left. It is standard on LTZ and available on LT models.
- Forward Collision Alert – A camera mounted behind the inside rearview mirror detects when a driver is at risk of hitting the vehicle ahead. A visual alert will display in the instrument cluster and the windshield and the Safety Alert Seat will pulse several times to warn the driver. It is standard on LT and LTZ models, and available on LS.
- Adaptive Cruise Control – Long-range radar detects a vehicle ahead and automatically adjusts the vehicle’s speed to maintain a pre-selected distance. It is available on LTZ.
- Automatic Front Braking – It automatically applies the brakes in potential collision situations to help reduce the severity of an impact or help avoid a collision.
- Safety Alert Seat – Pulses the left, right or both seat cushion bolsters to alert the driver of a dangerous situation. It is exclusive to GM and is standard on LT and LTZ, and is part of the Driver Alert Package available on LS.
Additionally, Tahoe offers seven standard air bags, including the segment’s only front-seat center air bag and seat-mounted side-impact air bags help protect the chest and pelvic regions of the driver and outside front passenger in a side-impact.
From a security standpoint, Tahoe offers an available security system featuring glass breakage sensors, motion detectors and a self-leveling inclination sensor that sounds an alarm if a thief attempts to steal wheels or tires, or tow or lift the vehicle onto a flatbed truck.
Recommended retail price (MSRP) starts from $47,000