Debuting in 2012 as the flagship model in Mazda’s new-generation product lineup, Mazda6 earned high acclaim in markets around the world thanks to the alluring vitality of the KODO—Soul of Motion design language—and SKYACTIV Technology’s balance of driving pleasure, environmental performance and safety. The refreshed 2016 Mazda6 aims to fully respond to customer expectations and Mazda went to extraordinary lengths to bring new levels of depth and maturity to every aspect of the vehicle. In addition to an innovative interior design, the Mazda6 offers greater sophistication and value with enhanced exterior design, functionality, ride comfort, quietness and safety.
“It’s only been two years since we launched the third-generation Mazda6 and we’ve already given it a major refresh with the new 2016,” said Jim O’Sullivan, president and CEO, Mazda North American Operations. “To say we’re dedicated to making the best cars we can is an understatement. We’ve taken a car already at the very top if its game, the very best car in the segment, and we’ve made it even better.”
The 2016 Mazda6 features the following enhancements. Bold changes to the shape of the instrument panel and floor console give the interior a fresh new look. It fuses a driver-oriented cockpit design, based on Mazda’s unique Heads-up Cockpit concept, with a roomy front seat passenger environment. In addition, thorough attention was paid to minimizing gaps between parts and achieving an overall unified appearance, significantly enhancing the feeling of quality as befits the flagship model in the Mazda product lineup.
Exterior features include a new front grille and signature wing design. These combine with new LED headlamps to create a bold and elegant expression that leaves a distinct impression of the evolution of the brand. Interior refinements include improved sound insulation throughout the body and improved front and rear seat performance. These enhancements yield a quieter and more comfortable riding experience, as befits the flagship model of Mazda’s range of new-generation products.
Further refined KODO design creates a bolder new exterior
Mazda6 gave form to the TAKERI concept car and is a pure expression of Mazda’s KODO design language. The design fused intellect, elegance and an emotional, dynamic shape to realize a strong presence as the flagship model. It earned high acclaim as a result, including being named a Top 3 Finalist for the 2013 World Car Design of the Year award.
For 2016, particular effort was dedicated to further polishing Mazda6’s award-winning design and to creating a deeper, stronger design expression. This includes the added texture and enhanced threedimensionality of the front grille and signature wing; the strong sense of vitality of the new headlamps that look like eyes gazing straight ahead; and the new design expression created by the signature wing illumination. While the sophisticated air born of KODO design remains, the refreshed Mazda6 marks an evolution to a bolder and more elegant expression that lends it stronger presence as the flagship model and clearly conveys the further evolution of the brand.
- The fins on the front grille, which feature a stronger look of horizontal flow, combine with the dynamic shape and three-dimensionality of the signature wing to create a bolder front face with an elegant look
- The LED lighting signature of the rear combination lamps gives the rear view a sharp, taut look
- The compact shark fin antenna accents the vehicle’s flowing form and stylish looks
- The 19-inch aluminum wheel with dark silver paint adopts a darker color that emphasizes the brightness and greater depth of its metallic look
- The lineup of eight body colors includes the newly developed Sonic Silver Metallic and Titanium Flash Mica, which was first introduced on Mazda3.
Refined textures and advanced functions highlight the sophisticated interior
The Mazda6 interior already featured sophisticated design and coordination, along with finely crafted forms. Careful selection of each material, including the finest quality leather covering the steering wheel and Mazda’s first use of pure white leather, embodied the sense of taste and fine texture that befitted the flagship model.
For 2016, every detail related to texture and quality was polished to perfection, further lifting the level of quality in the interior. The design team pursued beauty born of the fine mating and unification of carefully produced parts. To meet this goal, they boldly evolved the shapes of the instrument panel and floor console, while paying careful attention to the shapes, expressions and use of colors for the parts and ornamentation laid out in these areas. It also includes the adoption of Mazda Connect, Mazda’s next-generation car connectivity system and an Electronic Parking Brake (EPB). Mazda enhanced both convenience and comfort, while also heightening quality.
- Bold changes to the shape of the instrument panel and floor console give the interior a fresh new look
- Thorough attention paid to minimizing gaps between parts and achieving an overall unified appearance significantly enhances the feeling of quality in the Mazda product lineup
- The interior fuses a driver-oriented cockpit design based on the Heads-up Cockpit and an instrument panel that extends horizontally to create a passenger environment with a sense of breadth and openness
- The refreshed Mazda6 continues to offer a selection of black or white leather, or black or sand beige fabric interior materials. However, the leather interior adopts new color coordination
- Mazda’s first implementation of an Electronic Parking Brake (EPB)
- A freestanding seven-inch center display is mounted on the top of the low dashboard
- The Active Driving Display provides vehicle speed and other important driving information, such as that from the advanced safety systems, in real time
- The MAZDA CONNECT car connectivity system was developed to be a less distracting and more intuitive in-vehicle operating system, its purpose to increase overall safety as well as create a more pleasurable driving experience.
Higher quality dynamic performance delivers pure driving pleasure
The smooth, linear response and feeling of oneness between car and driver realized by SKYACTIV Technology delivers a light and pleasant driving experience. For 2016, the development team devoted particular effort to adding greater depth to the enjoyment of the driving experience by further enhancing the level of all-round comfort, including ride comfort and quietness. Toward this purpose, Mazda further evolved NVH performance and seat performance, while also adopting Drive Selection for the SKYACTIV-DRIVE automatic transmission.
The 2016 Mazda6 continues to offer a 2.5-liter SKYACTIV-G direct-injection gasoline engine. Also carried over are the six-speed automatic SKYACTIV-DRIVE and six-speed manual SKYACTIV-MT transmissions. Offered within the Grand Touring Technology Package is the i-ELOOP brake energy regeneration system, which helps improve fuel economy without sacrificing driving performance. While the increased engine braking caused by the hard-charging alternator is too small for drivers to feel, the smooth power delivery coming from the capacitor means the electrical systems do not operate differently when i-ELOOP is in use.
- Excellent NVH performance befits the even higher-quality interior environment. The amount of noise transmitted into the cabin is reduced by approximately 10 percent when driving on rough roads and by approximately 25 percent on highways
- The evolved front and rear seat structure provides a feeling of comfortable snugness and a good fit, excellent holding characteristics, as well as ride comfort
- The Mazda6 powered by a gasoline engine and paired with SKYACTIV-DRIVE adopts Drive Selection, which allows drivers to switch drive modes for a more responsive driving experience.
i-ACTIVSENSE safety features support driving pleasure with peace of mind
The world-class safety performance of Mazda6 has earned high acclaim. Its adoption of Mazda’s i-ACTIVSENSE advanced safety technologies based on Mazda Proactive Safety plays an important role in achieving this level of safety performance. The 2016 Mazda6 offers a wide variety of advanced safety technologies and further strengthens safety performance. This delivers greater driving pleasure and peace of mind, while adding further polish to the value offered by Mazda’s flagship model.
— Among the variety of i-ACTIVSENSE advanced safety technologies, Mazda made a particular effort to keep the driver more aware of conditions so they can enjoy driving at night or at highway speeds with greater reassurance
- Mazda’s Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) helps detect vehicles approaching from the blind spot areas at the sides and rear. BSM also incorporates Mazda’s Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) function, which alerts the driver when it detects vehicles approaching from either side as the driver backs up
- Available as an additional feature, Smart Brake Support (SBS) helps avoid frontal collisions or minimize damage when traveling mid- to high-speed.
The refreshed 2016 Mazda6 is available in three trim levels – Sport, Touring and Grand Touring – and equipped with the SKYACTIV-G 2.5-liter gasoline engine. There are a number of enhancements for 2016 including bold changes to the shape of the instrument panel and floor console giving the interior a fresh new look. It fuses a driver-oriented cockpit design, based on Mazda’s unique Heads-up Cockpit concept, with a roomy front seat passenger environment. In addition, thorough attention was paid to minimizing gaps between parts and achieving an overall unified appearance, significantly enhancing the feeling of quality as befits the flagship model in the Mazda product lineup.
Refreshed exterior features include a new front grille and signature wing design. These combined with the new LED headlamps to create a bold and elegant expression that leaves a distinct impression of the evolution of the brand. Detailed refinements to dynamic performance include improved sound insulation throughout the body and improved front and rear seat performance. These enhancements yield a quieter and more comfortable riding experience.
2016 Mazda6 MSRP
- Mazda6 i Sport MT: $21,495
- Mazda6 i Sport AT: $22,995
- Mazda6 i Touring MT: $23,945
- Mazda6 i Touring AT: $24,995
- Madza6 i Grand Touring AT: $30,195
The entry level Mazda6 with manual transmission comes equipped with the SKYACTIV-G 2.5L gasoline engine, producing 184 horsepower at 5,700 rpm and 185 lb-ft of torque at 3,250 rpm. Starting at $21,495, the base model includes many features considered premium add-ons by competitors. New standard equipment for 2016 is the addition of an electronic parking brake and an upgraded center console, dash and armrest design and manual passenger seat lifter.
The six-speed automatic transmission (MSRP $22,995) adds MAZDA CONNECT Infotainment System with larger seven-inch full-color touchscreen display, SKYACTIV-DRIVE sport mode, seven-inch fullcolor touch-screen display, multi-function commander control, rearview camera, HD Radio and sport mode button.
Mazda6 Touring model is offered in manual transmission (MSRP $23,945) and automatic transmission (MSRP $24,995). New for 2016 includes a seven-inch full-color touchscreen display, Mazda Connect Infotainment System (automatic transmission model), manual passenger seat lifter and sport mode button (automatic transmission model).
The Moonroof/Bose®/ Satellite Radio Package ($1,325 MSRP) is offered in Touring automatic transmission models and includes an 11-speaker Bose Centerpoint® Surround Sound System with AudioPilot®, a power sliding glass moonroof and SiriusXM satellite radio.
The Touring Technology Package ($1,675 MSRP), which can only be ordered when combined with the Bose/Moonroof/Satellite Package, adds LED auto on/off headlights with auto leveling, LED daytime running lights, LED lighting signature grille, adaptive front-lighting system, rain-sensing wipers, autodimming interior mirror with Homelink, auto-dimming driver’s side mirror, heated side mirrors, heated front seats and Smart City Brake Support (SCBS).
Mazda6 Grand Touring
Mazda6 Grand Touring model (MSRP $30,195) adds a number of premium features for 2016 including Parchment leather, new instrument panel, seven-inch full-color touchscreen display, active driving display, LED lights, LED lighting signature grille, LED fog lights, Mazda Connect Infotainment System and a sport mode button. All Grand Touring models are equipped with an automatic transmission.
A Grand Touring Technology Package ($2,180 MSRP) is available as an option and adds Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC), Smart Brake Support (SBS), i-ELOOP Regenerative Engine Braking System, Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS), High Beam Control (HBC) and active grille shutters.