Altima Joins 2016 Nissan Maxima, Murano with IIHS Top Safety Pick Plus; Rogue and Sentra with Top Safety Pick (When Equipped with Forward Emergency Braking)
Today the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) recognized the 2016 Nissan Altima with its Top Safety Pick Plus (TSP+) designation.
The 2016 Nissan Altima joins the previously announced 2016 Nissan Maxima and 2016 Nissan Murano in earning the TSP+ rating, the highest safety designation awarded by IIHS. The Altima scored “Good” in all five TSP categories and earned TSP+ status with a “Superior” rating for front crash prevention for models equipped with optional Forward Emergency Braking.
This latest announcement, along with 2016 Nissan Rogue and Sentra earning TSP designations, gives Nissan North America’s three top selling vehicles TSP or better ratings and underscores Nissan’s commitment to safety throughout its lineup.
“Nissan is very proud to have our best-selling vehicle recognized by IIHS for excellence in vehicle safety,” said Michael Bunce, vice president, Product Strategy and Planning, Nissan North America, Inc. (NNA). “Like the new Maxima and Murano, Altima sets high standards in a very competitive class for styling, performance and value as well as safety. We at Nissan are gratified to see that another of our core models has been recognized for excellent design and vehicle safety.”
For the 2016 model year, IIHS tightened its standards by requiring a “Good” or better rating in all five of the crashworthiness categories to earn a “Top Safety Pick” and making an available front crash prevention system mandatory for all awards. To earn the IIHS “Top Safety Pick Plus” designation, a vehicle must earn a “Good” or better on all five crashworthiness categories and also receive an “Advanced” or “Superior” rating for front crash prevention.
All-New 2016 Nissan Altima Safety and Convenience Features
The 2016 Altima offers a long list of standard safety features and also an expanded suite of available safety and convenience features, including:
- Predictive Forward Collision Warning (with SL Tech Package) – Uses radar to constantly monitor not just one vehicle ahead in your lane, but two. When it detects sudden deceleration, it gives an audible warning and visual signal on instrument panel.
- Blind Spot Warning (standard on SV and SL grades) – When a vehicle is detected in the blind spot area, an indicator appears in the driver’s or passenger’s side door and on the display. Put turn signal on, and the indicator flashes with a warning chime.
- Forward Emergency Braking (with SL Tech Package) – Keeps an eye on your speed and proximity to the vehicle ahead and can apply brakes if a potential forward collision is detected and you fail to respond.
- Intelligent Cruise Control (with SL Tech Package) – Uses radar to maintain a set distance between car and the vehicle ahead.
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (available on SV and SL grades) – When backing out of a parking space, this available feature can detect and warn driver of vehicles behind the vehicle that are approaching from either side.