Arriving in showrooms starting tomorrow, the Civic Sedan and Civic Coupe aim to retain their position as members of the best-selling compact car nameplate in America with the expanded application of manual transmissions for the 2017 model year. Building on the fun-to-drive character of the 10th-generation Civic lineup, the 2017 Civic offers customers more choice with a 6-speed manual transmission as standard equipment on the turbocharged Civic Sedan and Coupe in EX-T trims. The 2017 Honda Civic starts at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $18,7401 for the Sedan and $19,1501 for the Coupe.
For 2017, the Honda Civic Sedan and Coupe EX-T now feature the sporty and engaging six-speed manual transmission paired with a 1.5-liter direct-injected and turbocharged DOHC engine producing a peak 174 hp and 167 lb.-ft. of torque2 – up 5 lb.-ft. compared to models equipped with the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT). The CVT remains optional on turbocharged EX-T trims, while standard on EX-L and Touring. Civic EX Sedans also now add HD Radio™ and XM Satellite Radio®.
“This has been a tremendous year for Civic, starting with the Sedan and Coupe setting sales records and leading the compact segment,” said Jeff Conrad, senior vice president and general manager of the Honda Division. “For 2017, we’re thrilled to boost the Civic lineup by pairing the manual transmission with the 1.5-liter turbocharged engine – something we know our customers are very excited about.”
Since the introduction of the 10th-generation last year, Civic has received numerous awards and accolades, including the 2016 North American Car of the Year for the Civic Sedan, and has earned the highest-available collision performance safety ratings from both NHTSA and IIHS with the addition of Honda Sensing™. The Civic has led the compact car segment in sales for nine of the past ten months and has been the most popular car in America with under 35 year olds in each of the past six years, with the exception of 2014, when Honda Accord was #13. Late last month, Honda added a sporty new Civic Hatchback variant to the lineup, with Civic Si and a radical new Civic Type-R joining next year.
2017 Civic Sedan and Coupe Pricing and EPA Ratings
|Trim||Engine||Transmission||MSRP1||EPA Fuel Economy Ratings4 (city/highway/combined)|
Key Features of the 10th Generation Civic
Major technologies, features and capabilities of the 2017 Civic Sedan and Coupe, depending on trim, include:
- 1.5-liter direct-injected and turbocharged DOHC in-line 4-cylinder
- 2.0-liter DOHC in-line 4-cylinder with i-VTEC™
- Ultra-rigid body with 63 percent application of high-strength steel and 12 percent application of ultra-high-strength steel
- ACE™ body structure with crash stroke design for collision performance in a sporty, compact front frame design
- Ultra-rigid 590-MPa high-strength-steel floor to enhance collision performance and ride quality
- Most tightly sealed Honda body ever, with a 75 percent improvement in air leak performance over the previous generation
- Premium noise isolation materials and design features that combine with the tightly sealed body for cabin quietness that challenges luxury-class compact-segment products
- Multi-link independent rear suspension
- Hydraulic compliance bushings for premium levels of ride quality and road vibration isolation
- Large stabilizer bars with bonded bushings for refined body control
- Rigid aluminum rear damper brackets for ride quality
- Agile Handling Assist brake torque vectoring for cornering precision and stability
- Dual-pinion electric power steering with variable gear ratio for world-class steering feel and maneuverability
- Available LED exterior lighting
- Complete underbody covering for fuel efficiency and cabin quietness
- Flush mounted, acoustic glass windshield
- Ultra-thin A-pillars for outstanding forward visibility
- Premium, soft touch cabin materials exceeding current class standards
- Dual zone automatic climate control (EX-T and above)
- Available Display Audio touchscreen with Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay™
Safety and Driver Assistance
- Honda Sensing™ safety and driver-assistive technologies (standard on Sedan and Coupe Touring trims, available on all trims of Civic Sedan)
- Next-generation Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure
- Achieves highest-available NHTSA safety ratings and aims to achieve the highest IIHS safety ratings
The dramatic and sporty Civic design is grounded in its athletic stance and low and wide proportions. Compared to the previous generation, the 10th-generation Civic is nearly 2 inches wider and 1 inch lower with a 1.2-inch longer wheelbase, featuring a more compact and sporty front overhang; a longer, more aggressively sculpted hood and fastback-style tail. The Civic’s more premium character is also highlighted by its available LED exterior lighting. The overall effect is one of dynamism and premium quality with an unmistakable and yet thoroughly modern Civic design aesthetic.
The interior of the 2017 Civic carries through on the exciting, modern and sophisticated styling of the exterior while providing enhanced comfort, leading-edge technology and class-leading quality. High quality, soft-to-the-touch materials are applied liberally—to the instrument panel, front door sash and door inserts and the large thickly padded center armrest. Fit, finish and materials quality throughout the Civic’s cabin have been thoroughly modernized and upgraded in keeping with the more premium and sporty character.
The 2017 Civic interior is designed to offer the most comfortable, sophisticated and premium-feeling cabin in the compact class. Both the Civic Sedan and Coupe benefit from the largest cabin in the compact segment. In front, ultra-thin front roof pillars enable class-leading forward visibility. All Civic models also feature a large, reconfigurable center console with up to 7.2 liters of secure storage space; approaching SUV levels of console utility.
Interior Comfort, Convenience and Connectivity
In addition to its more spacious interior, the Civic incorporates available premium comfort and convenience features including, remote engine start, electric parking brake, walk away door locking, dual-zone automatic climate control, heated front seats and rain-sensing wipers. Models with Display Audio (EX and above on Sedan, EX-T and above on Coupe) include Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ platforms. For 2017, all EX trims now include HD Radio™ and XM Satellite Radio® functionality as standard.
Powering the 2017 Civic Sedan and Coupe are two engines designed to provide highly refined, responsive and fuel-efficient performance. LX, LX-P (Coupe only) and EX (Sedan only) trims are powered by a 2.0-liter DOHC, 16-valve, port-injected, inline 4-cylinder engine with i-VTEC™ valvetrain producing a peak 158 hp at 6,500 rpm and 138 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,200 rpm2, making it the most powerful base engine ever offered in Civic. The 2.0-liter engine is mated to a sporty continuously variable transmission (CVT) with Honda G-Design shift control, or on the LX trim, a quick-shifting 6-speed manual transmission.
Civics in EX-T, EX-L and Touring trims are powered by a turbocharged 1.5-liter DOHC, direct-injected 4-cylinder engine with VTC and electronic wastegate, turning out 174 hp2. The 1.5-liter turbo engine is mated to either the six-speed manual transmission (standard on EX-T) with 167 lb.-ft. of torque from 1,800 to 5,500 rpm, or a CVT (available on EX-T, standard on EX-L and Touring) that offers 162 lb.-ft. of torque between 1,700 and 5,500 rpm2.
Safety and Driver Assistive Features
The 2017 Civic is designed to provide a high level of collision safety performance in a wide variety of collision scenarios, including offset and oblique-angle frontal collisions as well as side and rear impacts. The 2017 Civic utilizes its next-generation Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ body structure (ACE™) plus crash stroke technology and a 590MPa high-strength steel floor to provide a high degree of occupant protection while minimizing weight and aiding fuel efficiency.
Standard on the Civic Sedan and Coupe Touring trims and available on all Sedan trims, Honda Sensing™ safety and driver-assistive technology can further reduce the potential for a collision and mitigate the consequences, alerting the driver and taking emergency action when a collision is determined to be imminent. Honda Sensing features include the following:
- Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS™)
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW) integrated with RDM
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW) integrated with CMBS
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low Speed Follow
- Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)
- Road Departure Mitigation (RDM)
The 2017 Civic Sedan and Coupe have earned top crash protection ratings from the NHTSA – a 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score in the NHTSA’s New Car Assessment Program (NCAP). The 2017 Civic Sedan and Coupe are also anticipated to earn a TOP SAFETY PICK rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, with a score of GOOD in all test modes and a SUPERIOR rating for frontal crash prevention when equipped with Honda Sensing.
All 2017 Civic Sedans for the U.S. market are manufactured at the company’s Alliston, Ontario, and Greensburg, Indiana, auto plants using domestic and globally sourced parts. Civic Coupes are produced at Honda’s global lead plant for Civic in Ontario, Canada. Both 2017 Civic engines are manufactured at Honda engine plants in Anna, Ohio, and Alliston, Ontario, with the turbo engine produced exclusively at the Anna Engine Plant.