The 2017 Nissan Versa Sedan offers high value, exceptional roominess and mid-size vehicle technology without a mid-size price. For the new model year, Versa Sedan adds a new SV Special Edition Package. In addition, the front center console has been revised with available Piano Black console lid, relocated USB/auxiliary ports, secondary 12V outlet and new cupholder design.
Versa Sedan’s standard 1.6-liter 4-cylinder engine includes a range of fuel efficiency-enhancing technologies, such as a dual fuel injector system and a twin Continuously Variable valve Timing Control System (CVTCS) mounted on both intake and exhaust camshafts. The engine is rated at 109 horsepower and 107 lb-ft of torque.
The available Xtronic transmission utilizes an auxiliary gearbox using planetary gearing, helping enhance efficiency and provide driving enjoyment through D-mode step shift programming. It also features a transmission ratio of 7.3:1, which is broader than those of conventional CVTs and even typical 7-speed automatic transmissions. For 2017, the Xtronic transmission adds next-generation D-step Logic Control, which simulates shifts, giving a more natural acceleration feeling.
Fuel economy with the Xtronic transmission is rated at 31 mpg city, 39 mpg highway and 34 mpg combined. Fuel economy with the 5-speed manual transmission is rated at 27/36/30 mpg.
The stylish body includes subtle chrome grille accents and available chrome door handles, along with available rear spoiler. Inside, the spacious interior offers unexpected leg and headroom to seat five comfortably, while the large glove compartment provides plenty of convenient storage space. The Versa Sedan’s available 60/40-split fold-down rear seat provides flexibility to carry people and cargo, including tall, wide items with the available large rear seat pass-through.
Comfort and convenience features include standard Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System and available Nissan Intelligent Key® with Push Button Ignition, an AM/FM/CD/USB-iPod® audio system, RearView Monitor, NissanConnectSM with Navigation and Mobile Apps with 5.8-inch color touch-screen display, Nissan Voice Recognition for navigation and audio, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio, SiriusXM® Traffic and SiriusXM® Travel Link™ (SiriusXM® subscription required, sold separately) and Hands-free Text Messaging Assistant.
The new SV Special Edition Package features 15-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, fog lights, front fascia chrome accents, variable intermittent windshield wipers, leather-wrapped steering wheel, 5.0-inch color display audio, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio (SiriusXM® subscription required, sold separately), Streaming audio via Bluetooth®, Hands-free Text Messaging Assistant, RearView Monitor and a Special Edition emblem
The 2017 Versa Sedan is available in four models – S (5-speed manual), S Plus (Xtronic only), SV (Xtronic only) and SL (Xtronic only).
A Stylish Exterior Design and Roomy, Refined Interior
The Versa Sedan exterior is highlighted by its bold front end treatment anchored by large headlights, substantial looking fascia and standard chrome plating on the grille. The result is a strong, contemporary presence with efficient dimensions and packaging – along with strong family ties to the popular Nissan Sentra and Altima sedans.
The list of standard exterior features includes body-color front and rear fascias, chrome-accented multi-reflector halogen headlights, body-color power outside mirrors and short rod-type fixed roof antenna. Available features, depending on grade level, include front fog lights, outside side mirrors with integrated turn signals, blacked-out B-pillars and chrome door handles.
Smart aerodynamic engineering helps create a coefficient of drag of just 0.29 (Xtronic-equipped models), which aids in the Versa Sedan’s impressive real-world fuel economy.
The 2017 Versa Sedan is offered in eight exterior colors: Cayenne Red, Gun Metallic, Graphite Blue, Metallic Blue, Super Black, Brilliant Silver, Fresh Powder and Titanium.
Inside, Versa Sedan offers five-passenger practicality with a high degree of comfort and refinement – the perfect combination for commuting on weekdays, running errands on weekends and transporting family and friends all week long.
Key interior features include a large meter display with white LED illumination, sporty steering wheel design with standard audio and Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System controls. Versa Sedan S and S Plus grades feature a wide AM/FM/CD audio system with standard auxiliary-in and Radio Data System (RDS), assist grips and passenger-side vanity mirror. Versa Sedan SV adds an outside temperature display, USB/iPod® controls, printed non-woven headliner, map light with key-linked illuminated entry and silver finishers on the center instrument panel cluster.
Versa Sedan SL models include Nissan Intelligent Key® with Push Button Ignition and an AM/FM/CD/USB-iPod® audio system, RearView Monitor and NissanConnectSM with Navigation and Mobile Apps, with 5.8-inch color touch-screen display, Nissan Voice Recognition for navigation and audio, SiriusXM® Traffic and SiriusXM® Travel Link™, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio (SiriusXM® subscription required, sold separately), Streaming audio via Bluetooth® and Hands-free Text Messaging Assistant.
All Versa Sedan models feature a roomy interior volume of 90.2 cubic feet, with more rear legroom than many mid-size sedans. Trunk volume measures 14.9 cubic feet. The trunk design itself focuses on useable space, taking into consideration everything from the size of the hinges to the shape of the sidewalls. A 60/40-split fold-down rear seat is standard on SV and SL models for even greater cargo versatility. Two interior colors are available, Sandstone (SL only) and Charcoal (all trim levels).
Other available interior features include trip computer with outside temperature display, power windows with driver’s one-touch down, speed-sensing auto door locks and remote trunk release lever.
Advanced Engine Technology and an Efficient V-Platform
The 2017 Versa Sedan utilizes Nissan’s global lightweight “V” platform and is powered by a 1.6-liter HR16DE 4-cylinder engine rated at 109 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 107 lb-ft of torque at 4,400 rpm. The engine features a range of fuel efficiency enhancing technologies, including a dual injector system that allows a wider injection of fuel than a traditional single-injection system. The smaller nozzles deliver a finer spray to help achieve stable combustion.
The dual injector system also allows the use of around half the amount of rare metals in the catalyzer by reducing the amount of unburned fuel and hydrocarbon emissions.
The compact, lightweight engine also employs a twin Continuously Variable valve Timing Control System (CVTCS) mounted on intake and exhaust camshafts (versus conventional CVTC systems, which are mounted only on the intake camshaft).
Using CVTCS on the exhaust camshaft increases thermal efficiency, decreases inhalation resistance and offers an approximate four percent improvement in fuel efficiency (over the previous engine design). The engine also includes a piston oiling jet, specially tuned piston top shape and expanded exhaust manifold diameter.
The 1.6-liter engine is matched with a choice of two transmissions – a 5-speed manual transmission or Xtronic transmission with new-generation D-mode step shift programming. The Xtronic design allows continuous change of the transmission gear ratio by connecting the two pulleys with a metallic belt and changing their diameter by using hydraulic pressure. It incorporates an auxiliary planetary gearbox to broaden the effective gear ratio, helping improve efficiency. The Xtronic transmission’s gear ratio of 7.3:1 is broader than those of typical 7-speed automatic transmissions.
Fuel economy for the 2017 Versa Sedan is rated at 31 mpg city, 39 mpg highway and 34 mpg combined with the Xtronic transmission. Versa Sedan models equipped with the 5-speed manual offer 27 mpg city, 36 mpg highway and 30 mpg combined.
All Versa Sedan models are equipped with an independent MacPherson strut front suspension and torsion beam rear suspension, with front and rear stabilizer bars. The suspension dampers and electric power steering are tuned for a comfortable ride and improved handling. Other standard equipment includes power-assisted front disc/rear drum brakes, an Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist.
Versa S, S Plus and SV models are equipped with 15-inch steel wheels with covers and 185/65R15 all-season tires. Stylish 15-inch 6-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels are available with the SV Special Edition Package. The Versa SL model features 16-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 195/55R16 all-season tires. Low rolling resistance tires are standard on all models.
Standard safety features include the Nissan Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) (includes dual-stage front supplemental air bags), seat-mounted driver and front passenger side-impact supplemental air bags, and roof-mounted curtain side-impact air bags for front and rear outboard occupant head protection.
Additional safety features include standard LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) system, child safety rear door locks, Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), Easy Fill Tire Alert (SL only), Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) and Traction Control System (TCS).
Four Well-Equipped Models, One Option Package
The 2017 Nissan Versa Sedan is available in four well-equipped models – Versa Sedan S, Versa Sedan S Plus (Xtronic only), Versa Sedan SV (Xtronic only) and Versa Sedan SL (Xtronic only).
Just one option is offered – the new SV Special Edition Package featuring 15-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, fog lights, front fascia chrome accents, variable intermittent windshield wipers, leather-wrapped steering wheel, 5.0-inch color display audio, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio (SiriusXM® subscription required, sold separately), Streaming audio via Bluetooth®, Hands-free Text Messaging Assistant, RearView Monitor and Special Edition emblem.
Highlights of the 2017 Nissan Versa Sedan include:
- Sleek, aerodynamic body with long wheelbase (102.4 inches), short front and rear overhangs
- Large front fascia with standard chrome plating on grille, chrome-accented multi-reflector halogen headlights
- Standard body-color power outside mirrors, available outside mirrors with integrated turn signals (SL model)
- Available blacked-out B-pillars, chrome door handles (SV and SL models)
- Available fog lights (optional on SV, standard on SL)
- 0.29 coefficient of drag (Xtronic-equipped models)
- Body color front and rear fascias
- Fixed roof antenna (short rod type)
- Eight exterior colors: Cayenne Red, Gun Metallic, Metallic Blue, Titanium, Super Black, Brilliant Silver, Graphite Blue and Fresh Powder
Engine and Driveline
- Front engine/front-wheel drive
- Nissan global “V” platform
- 109-horsepower 16-valve 1.6-liter DOHC inline 4-cylinder engine, 107 lb-ft of torque
- Advanced engine design with emphasis on enhanced fuel economy and emissions; includes dual injector system that burns cleaner and uses less fuel than a conventional injector design; plus Twin CVTC (Continuously Variable valve Timing Control) on both intake and exhaust cycles
- Standard 5-speed manual transmission (S model only)
- Available compact Xtronic transmission with sub-planetary gear and next-generation D-step Logic Control (available with S Plus, SV and SL models)
- Fuel economy rated at 31 mpg city, 39 mpg highway, 34 mpg combined (Xtronic models)
Suspension, Steering and Braking
- Independent strut front suspension with stabilizer bar
- Torsion beam rear axle with integrated stabilizer bar
- Electric power steering
- Standard 15-inch steel wheels with full wheel covers, 185/65R15 all-season low rolling resistance tires (S, SV models)
- Available 15-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, 185/65R15 all-season low rolling resistance tires (SV Appearance Package)
- 16-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, 195/55R16 all-season low rolling resistance tires (SL model)
- Standard power-assisted front disc/rear drum brakes with standard Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist
- Roomy, high quality interior
- Large interior volume – 90.2 cubic feet, 14.9 cubic feet trunk volume
- Stylish steering wheel design with silver finishers, audio and Bluetooth® controls
- White color combination meter LCD illumination
- Standard passenger-side vanity mirror and assist grips
- Outside temperature display, center cluster silver finishers (SV and SL models)
- Map light with key-linked illuminated entry, printed non-woven headliner (SV, SL models)
- USB/iPod® control (SV, SL models)
- 5-passenger seating with comfortable rear seat with ample rear legroom and knee room
- Adjustable front bucket seats with available driver’s seat armrest and height adjuster
- Fixed rear seatback with outboard adjustable head restraints
- Standard 60/40-split fold-down rear seat on SV and SL models
- Front door map pockets with bottle holder
- Dual front and rear cupholders
- Nissan Intelligent Key® with Push Button Ignition (SL model)
- 12-volt power outlet
- Easy Fill Tire Alert (SL model)
- Fine Vision instrumentation (SV, SL models)
- 3-blink turn signal function
- Available front and rear power windows with driver’s one-touch down (SV, SL models)
- Available speed-sensing auto door locks, map light; remote trunk release (SV, SL models)
- Cruise control (S Plus, SV, SL models)
- Standard AM/FM/CD audio system with 4 speakers (S, S Plus models)
- Available AM/FM/CD/USB-iPod® audio system with 4 speakers (SV model)
- Available AM/FM/CD/USB-iPod® audio system with 4 speakers and 5.8-inch display (SL model)
- Available NissanConnect with Navigation and Mobile Apps with 5.8-inch color touch-screen display, Nissan Voice Recognition for audio and navigation, SiriusXM® Traffic and SiriusXM® Travel LinkÔ, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio (SiriusXM® subscription required, sold separately) (SL)
- Standard Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System
- Available Streaming Audio via Bluetooth® (SL, Special Edition Package)
- Available RearView Monitor (SL, Special Edition Package)
- Two available interior colors: Charcoal (all models) and Sandstone (SL only), which has been modified for 2017
Safety and Security
- Zone Body construction with front and rear crumple zones
- Nissan Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) (includes dual-stage front supplemental air bags)
- Standard seat-mounted driver and front passenger side-impact supplemental air bags
- Standard roof-mounted curtain side-impact supplemental air bags for front and rear outboard occupant head protection
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) system
- Child safety rear door locks
- Standard Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC), Traction Control System (TCS)
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Available Easy Fill Tire Alert (SV model)
Models and Manufacturing
- Offered in four well-equipped models: Versa Sedan S, Versa Sedan S Plus, Versa Sedan SV and Versa Sedan SL
- Assembled by Nissan Mexicana SA de CV (NMEX-DF), Aguascalientes, Mexico
|Versa 1.6 S||1.6 Liter 4 cyl||MT||$11,990|
|Versa 1.6 S Plus||1.6 Liter 4 cyl||Xtronic||$13,990|
|Versa 1.6 SV||1.6 Liter 4 cyl||Xtronic||$15,580|
|Versa 1.6 SL||1.6 Liter 4 cyl||Xtronic||$17,140|